One Scenario is to dream up a Pakistani Empire and the other is planning an Azeri-Turk Iranian Empire. Both these options are not very good for Afghanistan. There can be no integration of AFghan economy into Iranian economy as long as Azeri Turks are running Iran which have totally alien culture to Afghans. So the project of a central Asian European Union type sturcture is not possible.
In central Asia , Persian-Afghan Culture have influenced those countries in the past. But that Iran under the leadershop of Azeri Turks is not the cultural inheritor of ancient Persia. Currently now Iran is more similar to Mexico than ancient Persia. It has the character of a Maffia state.
But Afghanistan and its people are actually closer to ancient Persian Empire than Iran is. What is needed is the creation of an Afghani Empire based on Afghans including Persians living in Iran. This combined force can remove Azeri Turks from power in Iran and replace Afghans and Persians instead. Beginning of 1980's some people in Iran had these plans and that is why they nominated an Afghan as the first President of Iran post "Islamic Revolution" in Iran. One of these people were Ayattollah Khomeniny himself.
That is the only way out for Afghanistan. How an Afghan with 5 cents in his pocket is going to stand up to an Azeri Iranian with millions of dollars and a latest model car coming to Kabul to take an Afghani girl to Tehran? This is not a joke. They have already made a music video about it. Empty talk about United Nation and World Peace is not going to help. This is the lesson that Russians have learned. Otherwise Afghanistan will either become Pakistanized by Pakistanis or Turkified by Azeri Iranians. Events will eventually take over and wake you up from sleep.
Several points about Afghanistan:
1. Afghanistan is only 300 years old country. There is no such country in ancient history.
2. Afghanistan is actually ancient Persia which has kept its independence. Persia or Iran has fallen to Turkish hands.
3. Zoroastura was actually from Afghanistan and Persians still have Zoarastrian culture in addition to Islam which they share with Afghans.
4. The most important resource is not money or oil but people and their culture. In those terms Afghanistan is a very rich country.
5. Afghans and Persians have led one of biggest Empires in history for 100's of years. The current situation allows a re-creation of that Empire.
Dokhtar Kabuli Video by Azeri Turk Iranian Shahab Tiam